
Everyone who knows me knows I love a good yard sale. To me it's like a treasure hunt, and exciting....you never know what you might find. This post is the story of an unexpected treasure I found at my own yard sale.
We met when she and her entourage of daycare kids came tumbling down Tweedsmuir Drive in strollers and wagons to our yard sale shortly after we moved in. She reminded me of the pied piper and her magic was worked on me like so many others..... and my heart told me we'd be friends forever. She bought the Fred Flintstone car at our yard sale......and that was the beginning of what has blossomed over the years into what I consider to be a rare friendship.
She's the friend every woman wishes they had. The "girl next door" (in my case, down the street), who calls you up after dark to meet her on the corner to share a piece of decadently dark chocolate from Trader Joes....the friend you know you can call on for help in any crisis, and she'll drop everything.....who makes you feel loved and accepted, even though she's seen you at your worst. She loves you just the way you are. She loves your kids like her own, and they love her like a second mother.....someone who is genuinely interested in every aspect of your life....who is completely real, and so unpretentious....who has a heart big enough to include everything and everyone, including stray animals and stray people....someone you can talk to about anything and everything and for hours on end. Someone who makes you feel like a kid again...full of adventure and possibility. Who would defend you to the end...who laughs with you, cries with you, and always knows just what to do and say in any situation. This is my friend, my "BFF", and I love her. I have learned so much from her, and want to be more like her. I want to have her gratitude for the little things, her humility, her unselfishness, her faith, her wisdom.
I have many that I call "friend", each with their own little special corner of my heart, all for different wonderful reasons. But today I want to pay tribute to Danelle, my Nelly, who is the best and most unexpected treasure I have ever found at a yard sale....strangely, it just happened to be my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment