Mar 20, 2009

please leave a message after the beep


It all started with Mason, my now 9-year-old nephew on Frank's side. He called right before Christmas in 2007 and left a message on our answering machine. He was singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas".....twice through. My favorite part was "good tidings we bring, to you and your KIDS (instead of "kin")and his closing, which was Love, Love you Emma, Love.... Mason. It was so cute, that I had to save the message...and thus began the practice of saving phone messages. Here are messages 2-10:

Nancy (my old college roommate): "Called to say 'hi', I just lost a dear friend and it made me think about how much I love my friends, and I just wanted to tell you I love you..." She was in her car, driving to Utah for the funeral. Her voice was full of emotion. She's been such a devoted friend since we met at Little Apartments at BYU in 1980. I couldn't erase it.

Allison's old Seminary teacher, apologizing for the lateness of the hour, but he had just picked up the mail and received a letter of gratitude from Allison that had really touched him. He told me later that he "got a lot of miles out of that." It made me happy to know that she took the time to say thank you. Everyone loves to know that they are appreciated and made a difference, and he certainly did.

My Dad: "Hi Jo....this is Dad, I just came home from the Dr.'s office, and uh, saw that you called me. Just wanted to let you know that I'm OK." I love my Dad, and will want to be able to hear his voice at some future date when he is gone, telling me that he's OK. This is a treasure.

Allison (oldest daughter in Huntington Beach): "Hello? Hey mom, it's Allison...um, I was just calling you to tell you that I dropped my phone in the toilet, so if you're trying to get ahold of me..... Love you, bye!" Ohhh....I have gotten that same message about 3 times since she left home! It made me laugh.

Sammy (married daughter in Logan, Utah) "You guys are slackers....why aren't you answering your phone? Hello? Emily? I just talked to you....!" I'm picturing one of those moments where everyone is comfortably lounging on the couch or chair, all looking at each other, hoping someone else will jump up and get the phone so they don't have to move. Losers!

My Aunt Mary, 90 this year, my favorite aunt ever on my Dad's side: "Joanne, this is Aunt Mary, and I was, uh, calling to find out about your dad, call me....I'd like to hear from you....", and then she left the wrong phone number. It was the phone number for Macy's department store. I'll never forget when we took our young family to her home in Modesto for a visit in 1990. I was pregnant with Emily. She had planned this huge water gun/balloon fight in her back yard for the kids, and cooked the biggest lasagna I had ever seen. My sister Kristen and Frank's brother Monte joined us as well, and we took lots of videos that we love watching. On that video is an "interview" of my Grandpa Simon! He was a character.

Jenny (Wells)Miner, a former special student of my husband Frank's: "Hey Shields Family, this is Jenny Miner, just wanted to say hello and see how y'all are doin'....". Frank always says that Jenny is the happiest person he knows. She truly never stops smiling! She is a huge Vince Gill fan, who the Sacramento country radio station called regularly to put on the air. She graduated at least 10 years ago, is married with two little boys, and has called us regularly through the years. She is the epitome of happiness, and absolutely lights up a room.

Sam, Mike, and Claire (daughter, son-in-law, grandbaby): "We just wanted to say hi, and Claire wanted to laugh...."....and the cutest little laugh from Claire, when she first figured out how. Her laugh reminded me of a laughing doll that we gave Charley for Christmas when she was 1 and 1/2. I miss that doll, but now we have a real live doll of our own.

Emily (youngest daughter, 18), who was riding along to an appointment with Allison when she was here for work last month: "Let me guess....Sammy's breastfeeding, Charley's laying on the couch with her laptop, and mom is taking a nap. CALL ME....BYE". The funny thing was, she was EXACTLY right!

NOTE: Charley, I know you don't like to leave messages, but I'm waiting for one from you to complete my tape. There are only about 2 minutes left on this one! Then it will be retired to my bottom dresser drawer with all of my other treasures. I also am waiting to save a message from Frank, but his usually just say, "Jo? Jo? Is anyone home?" And then he hangs up. I'm usually RACING to the phone, but never make it in time because he is too quick. Either that, or his messages are "inappropriate."

Since my mom passed away almost 9 years ago, I have so often longed to hear her voice again. I wish I had thought of saving messages years ago. Fortunately, I do have her on video. But it's nice to be able to just push a button in my kitchen at any time to hear the voices of those I love. If my mom left a message for me today, I wonder what she'd say. I will be thinking about that all day today.

This is just my first tape. I hope to fill my drawer with messages from the ones I love.

3 comments:

blahblahblah said...

I love this post mom. This is such a good idea-- to save the messages. I sometimes do that on my cell phone just in case :) I'm excited to be able to listen to them down the road and laugh. I love how sentimental you are mama. And your writing is so cute, I love it!!!

Darcy said...

I save messages from Adam every now and then because I'm so afraid that one day something bad will happen and I won't be able to hear his cheery voice for a long time. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Nancy said...

I read this when you first posted, but didn't comment. I have been feeling down since our ward split over a year ago and I quite often think of you and my friend Cheryl whose funeral I was driving to when I called you. I miss you and love you and can't wait for a time when we can get together more often! (when you retire and my kids are grown!) (-: Lovies!